Nrinder Nann announces her candidacy for Ward 3 City Councillor
On Tuesday July 24th 2018, Nrinder Nann announced her candidacy for Ward 3 City Councillor. Surrounded by friends, colleagues and supporters, she spoke briefly about why she has decided to run.
Nrinder Nann has 20 years of experience in community building and leadership development:
- At only 21 years of age, she became the first National Representative on Youth Issues for the Canadian Labour Congress. For six years she trained youth across Canada, developing their community-building and teaching them how to fight for their rights in the workplace.
- She then moved to New York City to become the Director of Education for SEIU 1199, the largest local union in North America. She developed the capacity of the leadership, staff and developed trainings for rank and file workers.
- As Manager of Community Development for the City of Toronto, Nrinder led a team of 17 staff with a multi-million dollar budget aimed at connecting high need communities to city resources.
- Nrinder then studied Holistic Nutrition and became a certified Holistic Nutritionist.
- Nrinder was a founding member of the Mustard Seed Co-Op and helped get the store open.
- In 2014, she managed the campaign that elected Matthew Green as Ward 3 City Councillor.
- In 2015, she launched her small business, Nourishing Health, and has spent the last few years leading self-care and cooking classes with individuals and groups across Hamilton.
- Nrinder also continues to develop leadership capacity across Ontario.
“When people are invited to engage and are empowered to participate in community building it becomes a vehicle to achieve change and transform lives. This generation is not waiting for political will, we are building political courage.”
“I’m running to be Councillor of Ward 3 because I believe in courageous politics, in the power of engagement, of neighbours coming together and winning needed change.”
Campaign Managers: Daniela Giulietti and Sarah Jama